Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Wisdom of Chumbawamba

                              



Rejection sucks. I'm sure you didn't need any help from my infinite wisdom to come to the same conclusion, but honestly it's worth reflecting over. 

You put yourself out there. You do everything within your power to perfect yourself. You invest time, money, much-needed sleep, and a bottomless supply of stress. You savor the feeling of hope and excitement of the unknown. And then that moment comes where you're told that you're not good enough, and what little self-esteem you had to start with is duct taped, shoved inside a box, shipped to Kazakhstan, peed on by an overweight man, attached to about 9 pounds of C4, tied to a rocket, and launched into outer space where it becomes a black hole that eventually consumes your entire being. 

OK, maybe I'm being a little dramatic.
And to stave off any confusion, I'm not even taking about a boy. I know, right?

In the end, I see why so many people are unhappy with their lives though. They end up somewhere they don't particularly like doing something they don't love- they settle and then never leave their comfortable bubbles. I guess rejection is just part of the process of leaving your comfort zone, so in that sense I'm at least a little proud of myself. Then again, I'm also proud that I can recite the entire movie Transformers so take that as you will.

This is just life. As someone who has never really been denied anything important before this incident, I know I have a lot to learn about how the world works. We all hit these speedbumps (unless you happen to be Anne Hathaway or a dolphin), and the best thing to do is to put things in perspective: find out what really makes you happy, who your best friends are, or why you should love yourself. We tend to forget the big picture, but we shouldn't. It's the disheartening things like rejection that lead to the good things. At least that's what I keep telling myself...  



No comments:

Post a Comment